I recently relocated from London to the Chicago area so I have been doing interviews. When I interview a potential client or employer I carry this list of questions with me. Most of the questions I have taken from other sources online. I have listed them in roughly the order I ask them.
Understanding the job
- What will I be doing every day (precisely)?
- Why are you hiring? New product? Scaling? Someone quit?
- Who will I report to?
- Who will I be working with? How big are the teams?
- What are my boss’ goals for the next 6 months/year?
- What is the key metric for the company? For my group? For my boss?
Understanding the culture
- How do you build software? Where do requirements and features come from? Is it a very formal process or is there no process?
- What problems does the group have that need to be solved?
- Is there a mandate to fix legacy code and problems that exist?
- What do you wish you had known before starting work here?
- Whats the worst part of this job and whats the coolest thing you have built here, personally?
Tools and best practices
- What tools are being used?
- bug tracking
- version control
- which version of Perl
- what operating system
- why were those choices made
- Is there a mandate to use the latest stuff from CPAN?
- Are there tests?
- Are there automated tests?
- What is deployment like?
- Is Moose used? OO?
- Is there any allowance for remote work?
- Are there core business hours?
- Will I be oncall?